Happy Monday! We got outside a little bit, but did any one else notice how hot it was last week?
I should know better than to park my black car with black interior in the unabated summer sun. No amount of air conditioning can help that. When I wasn’t
sweating glistening profusely last week, these things were making me happy!
- Still Killing It…I can’t help bobbing my head to The Killer’s new song, The Man. After 16 years they are still killing it! (It was right there – I just couldn’t resist.) I also love that he came clean that this was a throw back to his old self. Don’t we all look back at our younger self and laugh a little at how badA$$ we thought we were?! Oh, that’s just me. Cool.
- Now I can see…If you saw this, then you know I have begun swimming. Notice those goggles around my neck? I found them stuffed in some drawer at home and figured they would do. When a more experienced swimmer noticed my goggles, they directed to buy Speedo’s Vanquishers. Oh my gosh, what a difference! I preach about the right equipment for running (or is that to justify my lulu habit?), it definitely applies in swimming too. (and now that I’m over the awkwardness of getting into the pool, wondering if I look like a fool and how hard it is, I can’t believe how much I am enjoying it! Great sales pitch, right?)
- From the Garden…I planned to try a new recipe this week (falafel – come back next week, it should be up), but promptly abandoned our meal plan after our neighbors shared delicious summer vegetables from their abundant garden. Their bright colors inspired this easy salad.
All you need is a red onion, cucumber, squash and tomato. First chop the onion and squash. On the stovetop, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Toss in the onion and squash. Stir and cover. As those are cooking, chop the tomato and cucumber. Then mix in a large bowl. While chopping, periodically pause to stir the onion and squash mixture on the stove. Once the onion and squash are cooked, mix them into the bowl with the tomato and cucumber. This can be served immediately or sit to let all the flavors marinate together. We chose the latter and headed outside with the kids to play. When we came back in, I served it over rice. So yum, so light but filling, so refreshing – so summer!
- Humans…we’re pretty amazing when we work together.
- Me, Worry?…Yesterday was busy: a meeting in the morning, a shower in the afternoon, my parents in town and then the normal Sunday chores (like chopping the vegetables for the week and vacuuming). I was about half present for all of them as my mind was worrying and thinking about the next thing – ok, I need to get out of here by 11 to have time to get home, see my parents, get the kids down for nap, run to the store to buy the gift for the shower and then get to the shower. Arguably better prep would have solved this, i.e., I could have ordered the gift on Amazon the moment I got the invite. But when preparation doesn’t happen, I need to remember this: Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but it does empty today of its strength.
Hope you have a great week!
For more like this you can follow me here on (my) Rabbit Trails (just enter your email on the right) or over on Instagram. I love comments, feedback and shares if you are so inclined (those little buttons below make it so easy).
And if something has you smiling, add it to the comments below so it can make the rest of us smile too!