Monday morning, y’all! We spent so much time outdoors exploring, I actually feel like we went on a mini-vacay this weekend. Picnics, parks, greenways…even in this heat, there is seriously no place I would rather be. Now it’s time to go back indoors for a few days. Grab your coffee for this week’s things making me happy.
- One Lucky Girl…Funny how music changes with the phases of life. In middle school Tori Amos was perfect for all of my teen anguish. But these days – love songs are where it’s at. James Arthur’s Say You Won’t Let Go is the latest victim to my bad repeat habit. (I’m not the only one…415 million views on YouTube. Does anyone else remember when we use to have to rewind the cassette tape to hear our favorite song again?) Anyway, somewhere in between “you look as beautiful as ever” and “just say you won’t let go” I was hooked. These are seriously the same things I get to hear even when I’m not listening to this song.
- Balancing Act…As of Sunday we are now 2 for 2 with our boys starting to ride bikes at age 3 (I know, shameless mom brag.) But the reason I can brag is because it was by accident. Our neighbor in Louisville gave us this. Within 3 months, our oldest was riding a bike. Now a year later, our middle son is too. No training wheels. No tears. Just excitement and confidence. If you have a little around this age, I can’t recommend a balance bike enough.
- Hummus, anyone?…We celebrated the eve of the 4th with a lot of boys. 6 to be exact. All under the age of 5. So you know, it was pretty chill. When my friend Sarah (besides making delicious hummus, she takes amazing pictures too – call her) put this hummus out – for 10 minutes we were all oblivious to the running, wrestling and yelling that was taking place, until there was blood (I’m kidding. Kind of. Right, boy moms?!).
- What to Eat?!…So we watched What the Health this week. Its claims are pretty outstanding. Not surprisingly, there’s a lot of push back on those claims. I have no idea what’s true and what’s not. What I do know is that as much as I loved cheese (like with a big double heart), I feel pretty amazing since I’ve been off of it (and all other dairy) for 7 months. This is not the first time in my life I’ve kicked dairy, but I’m old enough that I know it will finally stick. I’m not saying abstaining from dairy is right for everyone, but playing with diet to find out what is right for each body isn’t a bad idea either. What we put in our bodies definitely effects how we (our minds and our stomachs have close ties) feel. You know when you think you feel fine because it’s just what you’ve always done? That’s where I was and now I can’t believe I was living that way. (I just did it. When we went plant-based we swore we weren’t going to be those people.)
- If the Stitches Stay In…Last week a mama friend shared that she was a having a hard day. This came to mind: Everything heals. Your body heals. Your heart heals. The mind heals. Wounds heal. Your soul repairs itself. Your happiness is always going to come back. Bad times don’t last.
That’s it! Have a great week!
For more like this you can follow me here on (my) Rabbit Trails (just enter your email on the right) or over on Instagram. I love comments, feedback and shares if you are so inclined (those little buttons below make it so easy).
And if something has you smiling, add it to the comments below so it can make the rest of us smile too!